Hello friends its Feb 24th and i have been slow on my posts, but if you build yourself and run a blog you know how trying to keep up with both can be challenging to say the least.
I’ve been working on this new project the PALLET TRUNK but I’ve been also working on a small harvest table. If you check out my FB page you can see my builds.
I saw some great inspiring trunk pictures on Pinterest. This is the first inspiration trunk picture i found.
Now because im working with pallet wood you have to make sure you try and use as close as you can the same wood for the project. You need to use as close to the same dimensions. Length, width, thickness.
Sorry for the blur.
For my Trunk I used some reclaimed 2×2’s for the corners.
Next you need to decide what your trunk dimensions will be…. I decided on 20 inches deep, that’s front to back. 16 high, and 30 inches long Left to Right.
Begin with cutting the 2×2’s the height you want for your trunk. Mine was 16 inches.
I start with the sides. Cut you wood, whatever your using to the depth you have chosen. As i said, I decided on 20 inches. As it turned out, i needed four boards per side. These boards were very close to 1×4’s.
This is where the Ryobi nailgun is really useful. It doesn’t take long to assemble any project with this nailgun.
The next step is cutting the boards that will be the front and back of the trunk. That’s the fron and back of the trunk.
By this point you should have a box similar to the picture above..
Don’t forget to put in rails 🙂 You need them if your going to have a bottom in your trunk 🙂
Here is the trunk with the bottom now in place. To save yourself a lot of headache when you cut your boards sand them before you install them.
I also installed rope handles. I went to our local craft store and grabbed some craft rope. Simple choose the location you want your handles, drill your hole, measure and cut enough rope that feels comfortable. Tie a knot on the inside and you have your handles.
I just went down the width of the first side palette and drilled the holes.
The top was the next step.
This step i had to modify a little. I didn’t anticipate the installation of the hinges. I had some fence hinges. So I had to resize the top a little for it to work.
After the fit and open lid test, it worked out perfect.
As you can see i also decided to burn the wood. This helps with wood protection and brings up the grain.
As I was looking through Pintrest for other trunk ideas, I saw some that had shelves inside and i thought it might be a nice addition, as well as someone had stained it Honey. I was lucky enough that I had some Honey color gel stain.