Hello all.. Its Saturday Feb 13th the day before Valentines Day and I’ve been very very busy building for spring.. The orders pile up quickly. I’m making raised garden beds. But I’m making from reclaimed CLEAN pallets. Its not hard to find the clean ones just ask the businesses that your look at. They will […]
SORRY that i haven’t been around lately but I’ve been busy recovering a deck , and a new customer CUSTOM order. 🙂
When the client contacted me she wanted a X frame side entry table made as seen in the picture she sent to me below.
She supplied me with the specific measurements she wanted for her table.
4 ft long
the top to be 16 inches wide, 2×4 legs, and 1×4’s for the bottom shelf. And of course the X from 2×2’s
the height was requested as 34 inches.
So I stared with the top, and got a nice 2×8 at 8 feet. Once i cut it to the 4 feet lengths i used my Kreg Jig to join the tow boards together.
Shown in the picture above i used the Kreg Jig and marked where the pocket holes were to be made on each board.
As you can see the holes are staggered. I used a speed square to line up where the holes were to go on each board.
The recommended space between each pocket hole is 6 inches.
When the holes were all prepared i put the two boards on the ground to have a flush surface as i assemble the top.
I ran a line of glue down the middle and pressed the boards together. Then proceeded to join the boards using the pocket holes.
As a side note, i haven’t had much experience in joining wood together in this manner. There are many options out there, like pocket holes, biscuit, and dowels just to name a few.
Each has their own advantage but they also disadvantage such as specialty tools. I’ll get into my experience with each in later posts.
As of right now I’m using pocket holes and the Kreg Jig. Mainly because its fast and fairly reliable. There is a learning curve as with anything, so have some fun experimenting first.
I like the pocket holes becasue you dont have to be exact with your alignment as you do with the others. And if your just starting out its a good way I find to start so you don’t get frustrated right from the start.
Here is the result of the two joined boards. Looks good 🙂
Just some sanding to do.
Here is the final product. As you can see i didn’t include the X on the side because during assembly with the requested measurements from the client it was not going to be possible.
I didn’t get pictures of all the steps this time because of the adjustments i had to make, but I’ll go into detail of the build a little later.
One lesson when you’re making custom products, sometimes you have to adjust your plan for your client but sometimes their requests are not possible and you have to be upfront with them right away and say why.
I had to say that the X for their table wasn’t possible because the space between the legs was not far enough apart for the X to be put in and look good.
I described the problem and my recommendation, they agreed and were very happy with the final result.
There was no X in it, but it was build to their requested measurements and it worked for them.
Another HAPPY CLIENT !! 🙂